Hilltop House
570 Beaumont Rd.
Devon, PA 19333







History
Rental Rates
Hilltop Park
The Gardens
Floor Plans
Photo Gallery
Contact Us

E

asttown Township has the tremendous good fortune to have received the beautiful estate as a gift from Dr. Sterg O’Dell and his wife, Frances, in 1995.   

Not much is known of the original estate, first established as a working farm.  The stables and current home dates back to the turn of the century, most likely built by the chocolateer, William Nelson Wilbur and his wife, Elizabeth Fitch Wilbur in 1894.  It is reported that the estate was then named “Idlewood Farm.  The Wilburs sold the property in 1919.

The estate was purchased by Samuel Phillip Curtis, who operated the house until 1935 when it was lost to foreclosure during the Great Depression. By then the estate had been renamed, Hilltop House.   During this time,  Charlotte Dorrance Wright, daughter of John T. Dorrance, and her new husband, William Coxe Wright, rented the home prior to moving to Ravenscliff. 

The next recorded owner was Thaddeus Trout who made extensive renovations and additions to the home.  In 1959 the estate was sold to Drexel Professor, Dr. Sterg O’Dell and his wife, Frances L. (nee Heublein).  The O’Dell family resided in the home for 36 years before bequeathing it to Easttown Township in 1995.  Dr. and Mrs. O’Dell were noted throughout their lives for their quiet philanthropic efforts and warm personalities. 

Hilltop House was the site of the 1997 Vassar Show House.  The house was completely renovated in 2005 for public use and has recently begun accepting reservations for special events and wedding ceremonies.